Courtesy of Paganwiccan.about.com
- Stand at your altar with your arms crossed over your chest, and feet together. Face towards the full moon. Say:
Goddess of the Moon,
You have been known by many names
in many lands in many times.
You are universal and constant.
In the dark of night,
You shine down upon us
and bathe us in Your light and love.
I ask You, O Divine One,
to honour me by joining with me,
and allowing me to feel
Your presence within my heart.
- Move your feet apart to about shoulder width, and raise your arms up and out to welcome the Goddess into you. The next part is one that you can memorize and learn, or you can speak spontaneously from the heart. You will begin to feel a surge of energy, a palpable tingle – don’t worry, that’s the Goddess making Herself known to you. Feel free to change these words as you like. You are speaking for Her, in Her voice, so let Her say what She wishes. Say:
“I am the Mother of all life,
the One who watches over all.
I am the wind in the sky,
the spark in the fire,
the seedling in the earth,
the water in the river.
I am the vessel from which
All Things spring forth.”
“Honour Me from within your heart!
Remember that acts of love and pleasure are My rituals,
and that there is beauty in all things.”
“Honour Me on this night of the full moon!
I have been with you since the moment you were created,
and shall remain with you always.”
“Let there be beauty and strength,
wisdom and honour,
humility and courage within you.”
“If you need Me,
call upon Me and I shall come to you,
for I am everywhere, always.”
“Honour Me as you seek knowledge!
I am the Maiden, the Mother and the Crone,
and I live within you.”
- Feel the power of the Goddess within you. When you are ready, conclude with:
“I look down upon the sands of the desert,
I crash the tides upon the shore,
I shine on the mighty trees of the forests,
and watch with joy
as Life continues every cycle.”
“Be true to Me,
honouring that which I have created,
and I shall be true to you in return.
With harm to none, so it shall be.”
- Take a few moments to stand and bask in Her glow, and to meditate upon that which you have just experienced. Once the energy surge has subsided, lower your arms, and proceed with your ceremony as you normally would at the conclusion of a ritual.
- Drawing Down the Moon is an altered state of consciousness, a ritual possession by the Divine. It is not uncommon to feel the energy of the Goddess for quite some time following Drawing Down the Moon, so don’t be alarmed if you feel a heightened sense of clarity over the next few days. You may also feel extremely emotional — it’s not uncommon to cry or laugh spontaneously during this rite.
- The above ritual is one that I created myself, but for more variations on Drawing Down the Moon, there are excellent versions in Wicca For One by Raymond Buckland (pp. 87 – 89 and The Grimoire of Lady Sheba (pp. 167- 168).